11 Sep Admission to Reception 2021
If your child was born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017 and you live in Gateshead, you can apply now for your child to start reception class in September 2021.
Apply on-line at: www.gateshead.gov.uk/schooladmissions
On-line applications must be submitted by 15 January 2021. If you do not submit your form by this date you will reduce your chances of gaining a place at one of your preferred schools.
You should list three school preferences on your application, applying for only one school does not improve your chances of gaining a place at this school.
It is important that you look at the information in the ‘Admission to Primary School’ booklet and relevant school admission policies before you submit your application. This booklet is available on the council’s website www.gateshead.gov.uk/schooladmissions.
If you live outside Gateshead – you must apply directly to your home local authority, even if the schools you want to apply to are in Gateshead. However, it is important that you read this letter and the information in our booklet to fully understand the admission policies for Gateshead schools before you apply.
Unfortunately, children lose places every year because some parents provide false or inaccurate information on their application form. We reserve the right to seek proof of address or other evidence required whenever necessary. You must provide any information the council or school request by the relevant deadline. If you fail or delay in doing this, it may result in the refusal of a place.
If you change your address after you submit your application form, you must inform The School Admissions Team immediately.
Please read the important information overleaf before you apply.
School Admissions Team
Tel: 0191 433 2756, 433 2757, 433 2109
If you live in Gateshead apply on-line at: www.gateshead.gov.uk/schooladmissions
Before you apply, make sure you look at the ‘Admission to Primary School’ booklet which contains important information that will help you in making your child’s application, including:
- admission policies and oversubscription criteria for Gateshead schools
- the number of applications received, and the number of places offered for previous years
- information on how places are offered
- You may want to arrange a visit to the schools you are interested in applying to before completing your application.
- You can only complete one application form and applications must be submitted by 15 January 2021.
- Check that all the details you enter on your on-line application form are correct, including any older siblings your child may have, already attending the school you apply to.
- You must complete the ‘Faith Details’ section of the on-line application form if you are applying to a Catholic school.
- You can apply for up to three schools and we recommend you use all three preferences. Applying for only one school does not improve your chance of gaining a place at this school.
- How you rank your preferences is important and you must think carefully about the admission policy for each school you apply to and the likelihood of success.
We cannot guarantee that your child will be offered a place at one of your chosen schools, even if you live in the catchment area or already have another child attending the school, as this will depend on the number of applications the school receives.
- You can check which school catchment area you live in on the Council’s website.
- Your child’s attendance at a school or private nursery does not guarantee or increase your chances of gaining a place at your chosen school.
- We do not keep places back at oversubscribed schools for children moving into the area after the closing date.
- If you rank a school outside Gateshead as one or more of your preferences, you must look at the admission policy for that school before submitting your application.
- If your child is summer born (born between 1 April 2016 and 31 August 2017) and you want to request that they are admitted outside of their normal age group, please read Section 2 of the ‘Admission to Primary School’ booklet which is available on the Council’s website for information on how to request this. Requests for deferred entry must be received by 15 January 2021.
- If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan you do not need to apply for a school place. An annual review, to which you will be invited, will be held in the Autumn term in which discussions will be held regarding your child’s primary school placement.
- You will find out which school your child has been offered on or around 16 April 2021 via letter and email (if you apply on-line).
- If you do not have on-line access to apply or access the ‘Admission to Primary School’ booklet, please contact The School Admissions Team for a paper copy.